7th – 12th Grades New Immunization Requirements

Whooping cough (pertussis) has been widespread in California. Many students have had to miss school because they were sick.

To help protect your children and others from whooping cough, a new California law now requires students to be vaccinated against whooping cough.

For the 2011-12 school year only, all students entering 7th through 12th grades will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster shot (Tdap) before starting school.

Thereafter, in future school years, only students entering 7th grade will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster shot (Tdap) before starting school.

By law, students who do not have proof of receiving a Tdap booster shot will not be able to start school until proof is provided to the school. (The tetanus-diphtheria booster shot, Td, will not meet the requirement.)

Attached you will find a flyer with more information about Tdap vaccine and this immunization requirement.

We want to make sure your child starts school on time. I urge you to:

1. Review the attached flyer.

2. Get your child’s Tdap shot now if your child hasn’t received it already.  A large number of students need a Tdap shot between now and the start of school next year. Make an appointment with your child’s doctor or clinic for your child to get a Tdap booster shot now. Avoid the back-to-school rush.

3. Save your proof of immunization.  Be sure to keep the written proof of your child’s Tdap booster shot in a safe place. Your child will need to provide proof of immunization in order to start school.

Getting the adolescent whooping cough shot now will not only help protect your child against the ongoing threat of whooping cough but will also meet the new school requirement.

If you choose to waive said requirement the California Department of Public Health is requiring a separate waiver for the new TDAP (whooping cough) requirement 2011-2012 school year. The existing immunization waiver CANNOT be used for the new TDAP requirement.

We have forms in the office.  We CANNOT send the form home as they must be signed and witnessed by a school official.