Mount Madonna School is a small independent school offering preschool through 12th grades, located on Summit Road between Gilroy and Watsonville, near Hwy 152 on the Central Coast. We educate our students on a 375-acre campus with sweeping views of the Monterey Bay. We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and have been providing an excellent education for more than 40 years. Read Mount Madonna School Professional Conduct Standards.
Director of Theatre Productions / Middle and High School Performing Arts Teacher
We have an opening for the 2021-22 school year, starting August 2021, for a Middle and High School Performing Arts Director and Teacher. This part time position includes about 12 classes per week of performing arts instruction to all students in grades 6-12. (Hours for meetings and intensive weeks can be viewed on request on the job overview description.) Classes are generally in the afternoon, three days per week, until the two week intensives before each show with ½ day and full day rehearsals.
The Director works closely with a performing arts team, including a choreographer, music director, producer and tech crew. There are 3 major musical productions each year. September-January, the Middle and High Schools each prepare and perform a musical. The spring production is the Ramayana!, our original version going on 42 years. Rehearsals start in February and the show, at the Mexican Heritage Theatre in San Jose, will be performed in early June. The entire school is involved in the Ramayana! and the current director is available to codirect this show with the performing arts team.
This performing arts director/ teacher position requires:
- Good organization and communication skills
- Flexibility and working cooperatively with colleagues
- Ability to work with adolescents, 6th-12th Grade, to challenge them, as well as to be observant of their thresholds to establish positive, confidence building relationships with them
- Willingness to work in close relationship with a directing team, sharing decisions on design, scheduling and casting, etc.
- Good communication with administration, faculty and parents
- Grading and evaluating students using the school’s Power School system and Google Classroom
- Teaching experience, but a teaching credential is not required
More details about this position are available upon request.
Preschool Teacher’s Assistant Position
We have an opening for the 2021-22 school year, starting August 2020, for a Preschool Teacher’s Assistant to work in a unique Montessori/Waldorf based Preschool classroom with an emphasis on mindfulness, yoga, outdoor exploration and education for 3-5 year old’s. You will be working alongside experienced Montessori preschool teachers. This hourly position will be Monday – Friday from 8:45-4:15pm.
Mount Madonna School is a community of learners dedicated to creative, intellectual and ethical growth. MMS supports our students to become caring, self-aware, discerning and articulate individuals. We believe a fulfilling life includes personal accomplishments, meaningful relationships and service to society. Mount Madonna features top-notch academics, a dynamic performing arts program along with a competitive athletics program.
This full-time, 10 month, position requires:
- a valid ECE credential or sufficient ECE credits for licensing approval (12 core ECE units completed or 6 completed with a willingness to enroll in more)
- experience teaching Montessori, Waldorf and mindfulness/yoga curriculum or willingness to learn
- the ability to relate well with young children and parents
- excellent communication, interpersonal and written communication skills
- flexibility, dedication, and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- enjoy teaching in the outdoor environment, hiking, gardening with students
- a good understanding of how to teach social and emotional skills
The job description includes tasks such as:
- hiking with students through the fairy forest
- preparing snack and baking with students
- supervising outdoor playtime and rest time
- helping children choose and do the Montessori lessons
- assisting children with conflict resolution, communicating and supervising children who need extra attention
- supervising children on the playground and at lunchtime
- Helping keep the classroom clean and organized, as well as general daily cleaning
Benefits include (but not limited to):
- low student/teacher ratio
- working with and learning from a cohesive, collaborative staff
- working in a beautiful, natural campus and bright, open classroom
- serving committed parents and being part of a K-12 school
- two week teacher retreat and professional development before school starts
- paid professional development
This is an hourly-paid, 10-month position and includes 3 paid sick days, 403b retirement option and a paid lunch break. We are accredited by WASC and CAIS.
Mount Madonna School does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, gender identity or gender expression.